-What are the dates I can begin lessons?
If you are a beginner, you can start the Italian language course every other Monday. If you are not a beginner you can start any Monday. Please consult the schedule.
-What should I expect from my first day at the school?
We will wait for you at 8:30 am at school. Beginner students will start their lessons at 9:00 am. Students in all other levels will take an oral test prior to their start at 9:00.
-How many participants there will be in a class?
At the ABC School of Florence each class has a maximum of 8 students. This is due to better quality learning in smaller groups.
-Which textbooks are used?
Our grammar and exercise books have been written by the ABC School after many years of experience. These books are used in conjunction with authentic teaching materials, for example: newspaper and magazine articles, audiovisual materials, and many activities inside the classroom.
-Is the teaching material included in the price?
All text books and other supplies are provided by the school, but you are expected to bring your own dictionary.
-Which teaching method do you use?
The ABC School teaches according to the Direct Teaching Method: from the first day on, in all levels, only Italian will be spoken. You will be encouraged to practice verbal communication with your teachers so that you may learn Italian naturally, increasing your knowledge quickly and with confidence. With your teacher you will practice your spoken Italian in real-life situations.
-What are the qualifications of the teachers?
All the teachers are highly qualified. They have a degree in Italian language and literature. All of our teachers have been specially trained in teaching Italian to foreigners.
-Which course certificates will I receive?
At the end of each course, students who have attended regularly will receive a certificate of attendance indicating the level of proficiency attained.
- Where will my accommodation be in Florence?
All accommodation is in the historic centre of Florence, maximum 25/30 minutes away by foot.
- What are the arrival and departure dates?
Accommodation is from the Sunday before your course starts until the Saturday after your course ends. Please note that an extra night on arrival or departure is possible. On your departure day, the apartment has to be left before 11am.
Course Start Dates
Beginners in the group courses or combined courses can start their course every second week.
2018: 2 January, 15 January, 29 January, 12 February, 26 February, 12 March, 26 March, 9 April, 23 April, 7 May, 21 May, 4 June, 18 June, 2 July, 16 July, 30 July, 13 August, 27 August, 10 September, 24 September, 8 October, 22 October, 5 November, 19 November, 3 December.
All other levels for the group courses or combined courses can start their course every Monday. Students on Individual, Duetto or Trietto courses can start every Monday or on another day depending on their needs.
Lessons take place from Monday to Friday. On Saturday the school organises activities that the students can take part in if they would like to: visits to museums or monuments and excursions in cities close to Florence.
The school follows national and local holidays and will be closed on the following days: 1 January, 6 January (Saturday), Easter Monday (2 April), 25 April, 1 May, 2 June (Saturday), 24 June (Saturday), 15 August, 1 November, 8 December (Saturday). The school will be closed for Christmas holidays from 24 December 2018 to 6 January 2019.
Terms of enrollment
Enrollment in the ABC School in Florence or Sestri Levante means accepting the following terms of enrollment.
1. Lessons a) The Italian language courses take place Monday to Friday, except on national Italian holidays. b) On the first day of lessons students need to be at school at 8:30. c) Each group lesson lasts 45 minutes. The group lessons normally take place in the morning, however they occasionally can be scheduled in the afternoon (in high season). d) Each individual lesson lasts 55 minutes. The individual lessons in the Plus courses generally take place in the afternoon. The individual, duetto and trietto courses have to be arranged.
2. Italian language lessons a) There are 6 Italian levels offered by the school (A1-C2) which refer to the European Framework of Reference for Languages. Attending a course for 4 weeks does not guarantee the advancement to the next level.
3. Number of participants in the course a) The classes (except for the Junior Group, School Group and other specific courses) have a maximum number of 8 students. b) The minimum number of students per group is 3 students. In the case that the minimum number is not met, the course will be converted into individual lessons and you will have half the amount of lessons: for example, 2 instead of 4 per day from the Standard course) given the intense nature of one-on-one lessons.
4. Unattended lessons a) If a student does not attend a class or decides to shorten their course after it has started, missed or lost lessons will not be rearranged. b) Lessons will not take place when there is national or local holiday. Only individual lessons will be rearranged.
5. 50+ Course a) The 50+ course includes Italian language lessons and special cultural activities. In the case that there are less than 3 students, there will not be as many Italian language lessons. Otherwise, it is possible to choose to attend a class with other students with the full amount of hours. The cultural activities will go ahead even with just one participant.
6. Accommodation a) Accommodation services are reserved for students enrolled at and attending the ABC School. b) We would recommend that students request accommodation at least 4 weeks before starting their course. We will try to satisfy the needs of the students based on the available accommodation for those days, keeping in mind the seasonal nature of rooms and the relatively low asking price for students. b) Accommodation is available from the Sunday before starting the course until the Saturday after the course has finished. On your departure date please leave the apartment before 11am. c) It is possible to book an extra night on arrival and/or departure. d) All accommodation is chosen by the ABC School and is maximum 25/30 minutes away by foot. e) Accommodation can be very different depending on the apartment and the family. There are young and old people, couples and singles as well as families with or without children. f) The school only acts as an intermediary and is not responsible for the relationship between students and the owners of apartments and/or host families. f) Internet connection is not guaranteed in all accommodation. g) You are not allowed to bring guests to your accommodation (only in the case where you have asked permission from the school and from your host). If you are planning to spend the night outside of the apartment, please let your host know to avoid any unnecessary stress.
7. Transfer organised by the school This service has to be booked when you enroll. At least one week before coming to the school, your travel details need to be communicated to the school (flight/train number and time) to correctly organise the service. If this information has not been received in time the service will not be guaranteed. The school is not responsible if the student or agent do not stick to the conditions.
8. Payments If you would like to enroll in a course, we ask that you pay a deposit equal to 30% of the price of the course. Payments can be made in cash, by bank transfer or credit card (Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard). Bank charges are to be paid by the student. All bank transfers must be made out to:
SCUOLA ABC CASSA DI RISPARMIO DI FIRENZE-Agenzia 17 Via Martiri del Popolo 35-39r – 50122 Firenze
Account held by: L’Arca s.r.l. Account number: 9500/00 – ABI 06160 – CABI 02817 - IBAN: IT51L0616002817000009500C00 – BIC or SWIFT: CRFI IT 3F
Students are asked to clearly specify the reason of payment (course and name of student)
9. Change to the booking, cancellations and reimbursements In the case of cancellation before starting the course, the school will keep the deposit. The ABC School in Florence reserves the following rights: - To not reimburse money once the course has started - To change your course without notice due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control. - To not accept any complaints made by the student 14 days or more after their course has finished. - To not accept any complaints made by a third party who speaks on behalf of the student - To change the student’s accommodation and/or offer an alternative in the rare case that the ABC School in Florence cannot provide the requested accommodation.
10. Visa for Entry Students who are not member of the European Union and would like to enrol themselves in an Italian language and culture course for a period of more than 90 days need to require a study visa which can be requested by the Italian Embassy in their country. The ABC School will produce an enrollment certificate, for the duration of the course, for students who require a study visa, however only after the total payment for the course and the enrollment fees have been received by the school. If the request for a Visa is refused, the student is entitled to a full reimbursement from the school, minus € 60 (plus bank charges) for administrative costs. After obtaining the Visa it is not possible to cancel or change the course date. After the student’s arrival in Italy, the students have to ask for a “Permesso di Soggiorno” (residency permit) from the Police Headquarters in Florence (Foreigners Office) within 8 days of their arrival.
11. Accidents and Insurance The ABC School is covered by insurance taken out in accordance with Italian law. In any case, students will have to take out personal and medical insurance before travelling. Residents of the European Community are not obligated to take out this insurance if they have the E111 which can be requested from the health authorities from their country. Students who do not belong to the European Union must comply with the rules of the Italian government.
12. Responsibility The ABC School is not responsible for students’ illnesses, accidents, prejudices, damages and injuries caused to both themselves and to others. The school is also not responsible for theft, damage or loss of items which occurs within the premises of the school, within the spaces used in the activities or the accommodation where the student is staying. The school is not responsible in the event that any service becomes impossible to be offered for reasons of force majeure, a disaster, natural disasters etc. No refunds will be made in the above circumstances.
13. Expulsions The ABC School reserves the right to expel a student if their conduct proves unsatisfactory or harmful to others. There will be no refund in the case of expulsion.
14. Accepting the rules All enrollments are subject to these Terms and Conditions which are entered into force with the acceptance of the enrollment through agents or subagents as well as under whatever form, whether it be written or electronic. They are accepted by the student who enrolls themselves.
15. Photos and filming The student, accepting the conditions of enrollment, allows the school to use photos and videos taken during the course or the activities for promotional reasons and/or for their social network pages, unless there is an explicit statement of disagreement.
16. Data Authorisation By signing the registration form students, in accordance with Art. 10 of Italian Law no. 198 / 2003, authorise the ABC School to process personal data, statements and images to third parties purely for promotional purposes.